This spicy twist on classic sloppy joes is not for the faint of heart. The chili powder and jalapenos give this family favorite quite the kick. This easy recipe can be made in your slow cooker so you can just set it in the afternoon for the perfect hot meal when the family rolls in.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 ounces can hot-style tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic till meat is brown and onion is tender.
2. Meanwhile, in slow cooker, combine tomato juice, ketchup, water, brown sugar, jalapeno peppers, mustard, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Stir in meat mixture. Cover; cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours or on High setting for 3 to 5 hours.
4. Toast hamburger buns; spoon meat mixture over buns and sprinkle with cheese.